Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani's detention is "unjustified and disproportionate", Reporters Without Borders says.

Togo has brought charges against two French journalists, alleging "false declarations," despite their possession of valid work documents, according to Reporters Without Borders (RSF). The two filmmakers, Gaël Mocaër and Sebastian Perez Pezzani, were apprehended last month in Kara, northern Togo, while engaged in filming a documentary for France Télévisions.
RSF stated that Mocaër and Pezzani were arrested on July 27, even though they held work visas and official authorization to film in the country. France's foreign ministry confirmed the detention of its two nationals but refrained from offering further details. Togolese authorities have yet to issue a statement on the matter.
Togo has previously faced criticism for its restrictions on free speech, with several foreign journalists having been detained in recent years. However, there are suggestions that Mocaër and Pezzani might be held as bargaining chips in a potential exchange with France, a tactic other nations have been accused of employing.
The pair are currently in pre-trial detention at a "law-enforcement facility" near the capital, Lomé, as reported by RSF. The organization also highlighted that Pezzani is "suffering from serious health problems that require immediate medical attention."
Tony Comiti Productions, the company behind the documentary, asserted that the men possessed all necessary documents to work in the West African nation and were in "full compliance with the administrative regulations in force."
A third individual, Fred Vedomey, the journalists' Togolese fixer, has also been detained.
Thibaut Bruttin, RSF's director general, expressed the organization's alarm at a situation that has persisted for over 20 days. He condemned the "unjustified and disproportionate proceedings" and called for the immediate release of the French media professionals.
In a joint statement shared by RSF, the families of the Frenchmen expressed their hope for a "swift resolution," noting that the "uncertainty and anguish weigh daily" on them. They added, "We are devastated by the deprivation of liberty being endured in Togo by our partners, our fathers, our sons and our brothers. Gaël and Sebastian are passionate documentary filmmakers, deeply committed to telling the stories of the people they meet and bearing witness to the realities of their lives."
Tony Comiti Productions described Mocaër and Pezzani as "seasoned, experienced professionals" who have worked globally to "document people's daily lives... with no political purpose."
While the precise reason for the journalists' arrest remains unclear, some local reports have linked their detention to Ferdinand Ayité, a Togolese investigative journalist living in exile in France. Ayité was arrested in Togo in 2021 following complaints from government ministers regarding online comments, after which he left the country. Some reports suggest that Togolese President Faure Gnassingbé desires his return and that the French nationals could be used as leverage. Neither French nor Togolese authorities have corroborated this claim.
This incident occurs amidst broader concerns about press freedom and political dissent in Togo, which ranks 97th out of 180 countries on RSF's press freedom index. In June 2025, French broadcasters France 24 and RFI faced a three-month suspension for allegedly disseminating "inaccurate and biased" information after anti-government protests, accusations which the broadcasters denied. The year prior, French journalist Thomas Dietrich was arrested while covering electoral campaigning in Togo and subsequently expelled, according to the International Press Institute.

