World

Kariba ferry death toll rises to 93, making it Zimbabwe's deadliest transport disaster

Recovery efforts continue in what is the country's deadliest transport disaster.

The death toll from a ferry catastrophe on Zimbabwe's Lake Kariba has climbed to 93, making it the nation's deadliest transportation disaster, according to the state-run Herald newspaper. A memorial service was held last week at a stadium in Kariba, and recovery efforts are ongoing.

The ferry, designed to carry 90 passengers, is estimated by the paper to have had at least 168 people on board when it was struck by a powerful wave and capsized a week ago. Following the incident, President Emmerson Mnangagwa declared a state of disaster, and divers are continuing search and recovery operations.

Lake Kariba, which borders Zambia, is one of the world's largest man-made reservoirs. It serves as a crucial hub for transport and fishing and provides essential hydroelectric power to both countries.

The death toll, initially reported as 44 at the time of the accident, rose to 84 over the weekend, according to police. Since then, divers have located nine additional bodies, bringing the total to 93, as stated in a police report on Tuesday. The Herald reports that bodies are now being recovered further from the sinking site, with some drifting towards Zambia.

Provincial Affairs Minister Marian Chombo stated that 67 individuals were rescued after the sinking. However, she noted the difficulty in identifying some of the recovered bodies, with relatives often relying on clothing and other personal items for recognition. "We are running out of time and DNA may now be needed to assist in the identification process," the minister was quoted as saying by the Herald. Police have identified 83 victims so far, 39 of whom were children.

The ferry, a vital and affordable transport link for rural communities, was carrying parents taking their children home for school holidays, as well as traders, the Herald reported. A survivor in her 40s informed the AFP news agency that the ferry was particularly overloaded with goods, and passengers had expressed concerns about the rough conditions.

"The life jackets were buried under the luggage, and not more than 30 people managed to get them," said Itayi Marumisa, a trader from Mola village. "Children were screaming and most of the passengers were vomiting, but the captain did not seem to care."

Tight Bhusumani, a local councillor representing Mola, told the Herald that his community is enduring a difficult period, with children especially affected. "We have distressing cases where a child lost both parents and other siblings, leaving them as the only surviving member of the family," he was quoted as saying. The councillor, who lost a child in the accident, mentioned that other families are still awaiting news of those believed to have been on the ferry.

Cookies on xabarchi

We use cookies to remember your language and theme, and to count how many people are reading right now — that count is anonymous, lasts only while your browser is open, and cannot be tied to you or to another visit. With your permission we also measure how the site is read: Microsoft Clarity, which records page views and on-page interactions, and our own count of returning readers. Nothing that recognises you across visits is measured until you accept.