Fourteen killed in strike on Myanmar monastery
A rescue worker said the site had been struck twice as civilians gathered for a meditation retreat.

A monastery in Myanmar was the scene of a military air strike early Friday, resulting in the deaths of fourteen individuals, according to reports from opposition fighters and a local rescue worker.
The rescue worker informed BBC Burmese that all fatalities were elderly, and several monks sustained injuries. The site reportedly endured two separate strikes.
The assault occurred around 9:00 AM local time (02:30 GMT) in Myaung township, situated in the central Sagaing region, approximately 70km (47 miles) west of Mandalay, as reported by AFP. Civilians had reportedly gathered at the monastery for a meditation retreat to observe Buddhist Lent. Myanmar's military has not issued a statement regarding the incident.
Nway Oo Myaung, a pro-democracy rebel, told AFP that the deceased comprised eleven men and three women. Five of the victims were reportedly from one village, with the remaining nine originating from an adjacent township. Myaung further stated that "older people had entered the meditation centres," and the ages of the deceased ranged from 50 to 70.
An unnamed opposition fighter, who participated in the search for survivors, recounted, "While we were trying to rescue people, the aircraft came to bomb a second time."
Myanmar has been embroiled in a civil war since the military's 2021 coup, which ousted Aung San Suu Kyi, and has since been under martial rule. The military, frequently accused of targeting public buildings, has previously asserted that it only strikes legitimate targets.
In related news, Aung San Suu Kyi has appeared healthy in her first confirmed outside contact in two and a half years.

